This is an absolute classic from our favourite Mary Berry. The perfect base for adding some lemon or coffee but also wonderful as it is with some lovely jam.
175g soft margarine
175 g caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
3 eggs, beaten
1 ½ level tsps baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4 and grease and line two 8″/20cm round tins.
2. Place all ingredients (except the jam!) into a large mixing bowl and beat until well mixed.
3. Divide equally between the two tins and cook for 25/30 minutes, or until the sponges spring back when lightly pressed, or a knife comes out clean. Be sure not to open the door until at least 20 minutes are up, as the sponges will sink!
4. Leave the cakes in the tins for around 5 minutes, then take a knife around the cakes and turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.
5. Once cool, put the jam in the middle of the two sponges, and then you can sprinkle some caster or icing sugar on the top for a simple finish.